DIY NIGHTSTAND FOR YOUR BEDROOM : COUNTRY LIVING HOME DECOR

Hi! How are you doing ? I wanted to share a cool DIY project I worked on a few weeks back. I was sifting through ideas to get my home closer to looking what I wanted it to look like when I moved here. After the initial setting up of things, and before we bought new stuff to populate the many vacant areas, I thought I'd first do something about objects lying idle and put them to good use. I started  with a remnant of a previously owned (and long separated) aquarium: its stand. I was practically stuck with the wrought-iron piece for over two years. While the aquarium was long gone, it had left behind its metallic abode to anti-decorate my previous living space and now this one! This sorry piece of metal was languishing in some corner of my house, gathering dust and my ire. The reason I did not dispose it off is...well...I don't know. To think of it now, may be it was because it had to transform into this new avtaar.




I had been craving for a bedside table for sometime now. When we got our new bed, we did not buy any thinking of someday getting one which would be different from the usual table-matches-bed kind of thing. That one day never arrived. And then  one morning, as I was going through the 'staring-at the-not-so-valuable-iron-relic' routine, I got the idea of giving this guy a life changing transformation. I decided to turn it into 'that' bedside table which I had been craving for. And because I was inspired by country living ideas for my bedroom, I decided to robe this one in white.

This is how I started -

This looks so ugly right ? Well, not after we are done with its makeover :)





I made sure to paint-proof the floor and surrounding areas with newspapers  and cardboard sheets.






It prevents damage to your floor and surroundings caused by spillage and the tiny bits of sprays,which are not visible at once but will surely make you feel guilty after few days. Oh...that reminds me how I have spoiled so many things at home with my creative escapades!

This was after a single coat of color:





When it held the aquarium on its top, the stand had a glass plate covering its bottom shelf. After the paint dried, I placed the glass plate on top. As I was desperate to finish my new bed-side table, I started looking for ideas for covering the bottom shelf. I was sitting in my living room and my eyes chanced upon the brown wooden tray I had bought during one of my trips to Dharmsala. 



I thought I could sacrifice this piece as it was too old now. It was painted in the same white tone as the table and kept to dry. Even with the now white tray in place, there was still a slot on the bottom shelf which needed covering. Few coffee table books were taken out from the library and they did the job wonderfully.









 And this was the finished look....ummm...I love it this way. It stores my favourite reads with few curios from here and there!





Isn't it amazing how a simple idea can brighten up our lives? 


 Until we meet again.

Love
xoxo








Comments

Popular Posts